The Department of Dance through the KU School of the Arts offers a BFA or BA degree in dance with integrated training in ballet, modern, and jazz dance techniques, as well as courses in choreography, dance theory, history and pedagogy. Majors in the BFA program focus on technique, performance and choreography. They are also required to take classes in Classical East Indian Dance, Musical Theatre Dance, Introduction to Flamenco, and Conditioning and Injury Prevention for Dancers.
Sample of Related Skills
- Understand the artistic and technical elements of physical expression that lead to performance artistry and will attain and/or maintain a technical proficiency of multiple dance styles
- Acquire the basic principles of choreography
- Develop a reflective and critical awareness of the research methodologies available in the specialized fields in Dance Studies.
- Understand the importance of dance in a cultural setting
Popular Career Paths
Choreography: Involves the art of designing sequences of movements in which motion, form or both are specified. It also refers to the design of a dance.
Dance Administration: Includes all aspects of running a business in the dance industry. Jobs may include skills such as management, booking, public relations, and grant specializations.
Dance Therapy: Centers on the power of physical movement to provide therapy in a mental or physiological aspect as well as the proper upkeep of professional dancers.
Education: Focuses on the training and teaching of new dancers as well as professional dancers. This can include private tutoring, dance studio ownership, college professor, or K-12 teacher.
Performance: Involves pursuing a career that focuses on the applied aspect of dance.
Explore More Career Paths
- American Dance Therapy Association - professional organization for those interested in dance therapy
- Collegegrad.com - general information on career opportunities in the field of dance
- Dance.net - job listings for various specializations for those interested in a career focused on dance and dance culture
- MyMajors.com - career information on what to do with a dance major as well as specializations in the field
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
National Endowment for the Arts
Performing Arts Centers
University Theatre/Dance Troupes
Wellness/Alternative Health Care Centers
View specific employers by state.
- Identify specializations that interest you most and pursue courses and experiences that allow you to explore these interests further.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications (i.e. advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications) for occupations you are considering.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for HireJayhawks.com and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization in dance to broaden your network.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest: The University Dance Company, Dancesport KU, and Swing Society at KU.
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Dance Guild - job listings board from a national professional dance organization
- Dance Teacher Finder - resource to find dance teaching jobs or connect with dance studios seeking teachers
- DanceCareer.com - online national job listings board for a variety of dance positions
- Dance Notation Bureau - professional organization with possible networking opportunities in dance
- Dance/USA - resource for internships in the Arts or at Dance/USA from a national professional organization
- Employers in Dance - list of possible employers in the dance field
- Kansas Arts Commission - organization that promotes and supports the arts in Kansas; includes arts jobs and internships under the "Resources" tab
- Lawrence Arts Center - local arts center that offers dance performance auditions and volunteer opportunities
- Stage Directors and Choreographers Society (SDC) - organization for dance majors who are interested in stage direction;and choreography
- The Cecchitti Council of America, Inc - resource for teachers or students interested in ballet
- The Congress on Research in Dance (CORD) - professional nonprofit organization that provides networking opportunities as well as a list of events and conferences