Foreign Languages & International Studies
Foreign Languages: The School of Languages, Literatures & Cultures offers BA degrees in several languages. The study of language and literature enhances your ability to understand and communicate with people of other nations and cultures, in addition to developing proficiency in reading, writing, and oral expression.
Global & International Studies: The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA in Global & International Studies. In addition to a set of core International Studies courses, students with this major will also complete coursework in a regional expertise (Africa and the Middle East, Asia and the South Pacific, Europe, South and Central America and the Caribbean, or Russia and Eastern Europe) and coursework in a specialization (Comparative Political and Social Systems, Conflict and Cooperation, Culture, Ethnicity, and Belief Systems, or Political Economy).
Featured Resources & Career Ideas
Business, Commerce, Trade: Uses foreign language skills and cultural knowledge to work with international partners in all aspects of global business, management, banking, and trade.
Communications & Media: Utilizes foreign language skills and cultural knowledge to work for domestic or international employers in the areas of journalism, broadcasting media, communications, public relations, and advertising.
Foreign Relations: Works with US government agencies and international non-profit organizations to inform and enhance relations between countries through foreign diplomacy, intelligence, policy, and law.
International Development & Human Services: Works with US government agencies and non-profit organizations to develop and advocate for economic, political, and social quality-of-life issues on behalf of those living abroad and those immigrating to the US.
Research: Involves conducting research to inform educational programs, policy development, and other educational or political interests.
Teaching/Education Administration: Utilizes foreign language skills and cultural knowledge to build educational systems in developing countries, oversee educational exchange programs for students and educators, and teach language skills domestically or abroad.
Additional Career Paths: Log in to LinkedIn to view where Foreign Language & International Studies majors are working and what they do.
View specific employers by state.
- Consulting Firms
- Domestic/Foreign Banking and Financial Institutions
- Domestic/Foreign Corporations
- International Trade Firms
- Multilateral Organizations (e.g. United Nations)
- Newspaper, Magazine, and Book Publishers
- Non-Profit Organizations
- US Federal Government and Military
- US State and Local Governments
- Research Institutes and Foundations
- Public/Private Schools, Universities, Professional Language Schools, Museums, and Other Education Organizations
- Travel and Hospitality Providers
- TV Networks and Film Studios
- English or Foreign Language Instructor
- Foreign Exchange Trader
- Foreign Service Officer
- Fundraising/Development Officer
- Grant Writer
- Human Rights Advocate
- Immigration Specialist/Analyst
- Intelligence Specialist/Analyst
- International Correspondent
- International Program Coordinator
- International Relations Specialist
- Journalist - Language or Culture-Specific
- Lawyer - International, Travel, or Immigration Law
- Policy Researcher/Analyst
- Social Worker - Immigrant Populations
- Study Abroad Coordinator
- Trade Specialist
- Travel Agent
- Travel Journalist
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for KU Career Connections and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Immerse yourself in foreign cultures though study abroad programs, international internships, volunteer programs, and/or personal travel.
- Seek out opportunities to interact with others of diverse nationalities and cultures to develop your language skills and intercultural competencies.
- If majoring in International Studies, identify global issues and foreign languages that interest you and specialize in these areas.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your areas of interest, such as: Global & International Studies Student Organization, AIESEC, Amnesty International, International Friends, KU Model United Nations, and Students for Global Awareness.
- Take LA&S 492: Preparing for International Careers as an elective.
- Complete KU's Global Awareness Program.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Practice interviewing on your own or by conducting a mock interview at the University Career Center. List of practice questions: ESL/TESOL (pdf), general interview (pdf).
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
Links to Job & Internship Listings
- AIESEC - offers internships in over 110 countries and territories around the world; Connect with KU's AIESEC group
- Amnesty International - human rights advocacy organization that offers jobs and internships; Connect with KU's AI chapter
- Brookings - think tank and publisher that offers jobs, internships, and fellowships in foreign policy, economic studies, and global economy/development
- Cultural Vistas - non-profit organization that offers international internships, fellowships, and other global programs
- Central Intelligence Agency Careers - explore career paths and current job and internship openings within the CIA
- Council on Foreign Relations - think tank and publisher that offers jobs, internships, and fellowships in foreign relations
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) - offers teaching programs in nearly 10 countries around the world
- Dave's ESL Cafe - comprehensive website about teaching ESL; includes job postings, discussion forums, and certification program information
- Department of Homeland Security Careers - explore career paths and current job and internship openings within the DHS
- Department of State Careers - explore career paths and current jobs and internship openings within the DOS
- EPIK: English Program in Korea - teach English abroad in Korea; must have completed a bachelor's degree
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Careers - explore career paths and current job and internship openings with the FBI
- Foreign Policy Research Institute - non-profit devoted to research and public education on international affairs; includes jobs, internships, and a think tank directory
- Government & Non-Profit Resources - more from career.ku.edu
- Human Rights Watch - non-profit organization that offers jobs, internships, and fellowships in human rights advocacy
- International Job Links - more from career.ku.edu
- Internships USA - internships in international affairs, law & policy, and human rights
- JET: Japan Exchange & Teaching Programme - cultural exchange program with positions in teaching, international relations, and sports
- KU Office of Study Abroad - internships in London, Dublin, and Madrid
- MakingtheDifference.org - job profiles of education jobs in the federal government including available positions and number of positions by region and governmental agency
- LanguageCorps - programs for teaching English abroad in 19 countries around the world
- LatPro - free job board for Latino/a and other Spanish-speaking bilingual professionals
- NABE: National Association for Bilingual Education - professional association for bilingual education administrators and teachers; includes a free job board
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators - career information and job listings for international educators
- PeaceCorps - federal service program that currently sends US volunteers to serve abroad in over 75 countries; Connect with KU's PeaceCorps representative
- Peru Volunteer and Travel - program that offers opportunities to volunteer in several different fields while immersing oneself in the native culture of Peru
- RAND Corporation - think tank that offers jobs, internships, and fellowships in international affairs and national security
- TwoLingos.com - free job board for bilingual professionals
- United Nations - explore UN career paths and current job and internship openings; Connect with KU's Model UN group
- US Citizenship & Immigration Services - explore career paths and current job and internship openings with the USCIS
- Working Abroad Resources - more from career.ku.edu
- Youth at the United Nations - list of internships through the United Nations system and other international organizations.