History of Art
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA, BGS, and BFA, as well as a MA and a PhD in the History of Art, which introduces students to the past and present and offers courses in history of photography, prints, and drawings.
Sample of Related Skills
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the canonical works of western art and architecture, representative works of non-western art, and the art of minorities and women, through the ability to recognize the works, their artists, their stylistic period and their art historical significance
- Recognize that different interpretive frameworks can be used to analyze works of art
- Demonstrate an understanding of works of art and architecture from diverse genres and from a range of historical periods and geographical locations
- Demonstrate familiarity with more than one artistic culture of a particular time and place
- Demonstrate mastery of analytical skills such as observation and inductive reasoning in interpreting works of art both as formal structures and in relation to social and cultural contexts
- Demonstrate mastery of the principal developments and primary problems of interpretation and an awareness of critical and theoretical perspectives
- Demonstrate an array of critical approaches to the study of art history and visual culture
- Produce an extended work involving visual analysis, reading research, critical thinking, writing, and standard methods of documentation
Popular Career Paths
Museum/Gallery Curation: Involves managing collections of paintings, sculptures and other materials and artifacts
Art Conservation and Restoration: Involves maintaining older pieces of art that may be susceptible to damage, as well as restoring works of art that already have damage
Museum Marketing and Public Relations: Includes pitching stories about a museum to news outlets and overseeing marketing efforts
Art and Law Enforcement: Involves working for the FBI to investigate stolen art cases
Art Consulting: Involves contract work in which a person suggests pieces of to a variety of clients to fit their needs
Arts Management and Representation: Involves handing business affairs for artists
Museum Fund Raising and Development: Involves convincing donors that donating funds to a local museum is a wise investment
Event Planning for Museum or Arts Organization: Includes using creativity and budget management to plan events for arts-based organizations
Art and Estate Appraisal: Involves using research skills to appraise art value for auction houses or private firms
Exhibit Installation: Includes installing exhibits in various locations
Explore More Career Paths
- The Art History Major: Is there life after graduation? - helpful tips and suggested jobs for art history majors
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Art Houses/Auction Galleries
Art Supply Stores
Community Art Centers
Custom Framing Stores
- Identify areas of interest in art and history, so you can focus your academics and experiences toward these fields.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications associated with careers that interest you (i.e., advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications).
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for HireJayhawks.com and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest in art history, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant.
- Complete an independent study to gain advanced research skills.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional education.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as: Ceramics Club, Community Resources Engaging the Arts through Education, KU Photo Club, Photography Club, and Spencer Museum of Art Student Advisory Board.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Association of Museums - a list of museums and job opportunities within museums
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic Art - a career center for those interested in art conservation with job postings, general information, and networking opportunities
- Americans for the Arts - professional association that includes networking and job/internship search resources
- Art History Job Listings: About.com - list of jobs, internships, and fellowships in art history
- Art Library Society of North America - Internships in Art, Architecture, & Design Libraries and Visual Resource Centers in United States, Canada and Mexico
- Art Museums Worldwide - a comprehensive list of art museums across the world
- Association for Art History - list of jobs and fellowships in art history
- College Art Association - an online career center, grant and fellowship resources, mentoring opportunities, and more
- GetthatGig.com - a list of jobs and internships in art and design
- Idealist.org - search jobs, internships, organizations, and volunteer opportunities in the non-profit sector; search under the focus area of "art, architecture, and music"
- Internships-USA - internships listed in The Museum Internship Book and The History Internship Book
- Kansas Citizens for the Arts - organization working to build support for the arts among the public, community leadership and elected officials
- Kansas Art Galleries - lists art galleries in the state of Kansas
- Kansas Museums Association - employment listings, an online newsletter, scholarship opportunities, trainings, and workshop listings
- Midwest Art History Society - career advice, as well as job and internship listings for art history majors
- National Museum Salary Survey - information on salary in the museum field