The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA and BGS in Human Sexuality and minors in Women's Studies and Human Sexuality, as well as a graduate certificate and a PhD. The Human Sexuality Program fosters the interdisciplinary study of women, gender, and sexuality, through a rich multicultural and internationally informed academic environment. Human Sexuality seeks to produce intellectually rigorous, analytical and creative work that embodies the perspective of gender and sexuality in its local and global dimensions through teaching, research, and outreach activities.
Sample of Related Skills
- Understand how gender and sexuality intersect with race, culture, ethnicity, and social class
- Show how critical analysis of gender and sexuality contributes to an understanding of the historical and contemporary formations of patriarchy, heternonormativity, and gender normativity
- Achieve a knowledge base about LGBTQ+ people’s role in history – their contributions oppression, and resistance
- Describe the manner in which race, class, gender, and sexuality intersect
- Become aware of women’s and LGBTQ+ people’s experience in cultural contexts, both nationally and globally, including understanding the roles of gender and sexuality in social justice movements around the world
Popular Career Paths
Social and Human Services: Involves seeking out and connecting clients with the information, materials, and resources they need to cope with and overcome challenges in their lives.
Human Resources: Deals with personnel management issues such as compensation, hiring, performance management, and training.
Law: Involves the interpretation and enforcement of the laws in our legal system to minimize, prevent, punish or remedy the actions of individuals which damage or threaten the environment, public health and safety.
Writing: Allows individuals to express themselves through communication and provide entertainment and/or provide necessary or informative information the public through a variety of resources such as books, magazines, newspapers, or websites.
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations Firms
Colleges and Universities
Community Health Centers
Corporations: Human Resources
Domestic Violence Centers
Educational Institutions, especially Higher Education Administration and Women's Centers
Local, State, and Federal Government Agencies
Newspapers and Magazines
- The field of Human Sexuality has expanded greatly in recent years. The focus has broaden to include social inequalities relating to gender race, class, and sexuality. Choosing an area of focus will help aid you in narrowing your career options.
- Become familiar with the required professional qualifications associated with careers that interest you (i.e., advanced degrees, licensure and/or certifications).
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for HireJayhawks.com and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals. Some common minors that could be beneficial include psychology, public policy, business, or English.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as Women at KU, Amnesty International at KU, Sexuality Education Committee, and Queers and Allies at KU.
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Bar Association - listing of law positions.
- Feminist Majority Foundation - listing of Feminist related jobs and internships.
- Government & Non-Profit Resources - more resources from career.ku.edu
- Human Resources Jobs.com - listing of jobs in the HR field.
- Human Rights Watch - list of jobs, fellowships, and internships related to human rights
- Institute for Women's Policy Research - Internship and job listings at the IWPR.
- LGBT Career Link -job listing at diversity-friendly employers.
- Kansas Press Association - journalism position announcements in the state of Kansas
- Magazine Publishers of America - job and internship banks for careers in the magazine industry
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- National Council of Women's Organizations - job and internship listing of work related to women's issues.
- National Women's Studies Association - job listings for positions in women's studies.
- Public Education Project - interactive database with internships, fellowships, conferences, volunteer, and leadership opportunities in social justice organizations across the country
- The Leadership Center on Civil and Human Rights - job listings of positions dealing with civil rights.
- Department of Health and Human Services - information about how to apply for jobs at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services