More Internship Resources
The Internship Center is a comprehensive internship resource. You can learn about other KU students' internship opportunities, access internship listings, subscribe to the Internship Newsletter, and find out how to receive academic credit for an internship. If you need help finding an internship, make an appointment with a University Career Center career coach. We will help you access resources most relevant to the types of internships you are seeking.
For employers: Starting and Maintaining a Quality Internship Guide
For students completing an unpaid internship at KU: KU Internship Learning Agreement
If you missed the Internship Fair that was held on November 15th, check out the event through the eyes of social media!
Search for internships all over the world.
View internship resources by major.
Browse a list of the top internships.
Search internships by various industries.
Search hundreds of internships.
View other students' internship experiences.
Read info from the U.S. Department of Labor.
Find out how to post opportunities.
More Internship Information:
Subscribe to the Internship Newsletter:
When you subscribe to the Internship Newsletter you will receive a weekly email with updates on the latest internship postings, events, and workshops.
View Where have KU Students interned? in a larger map
- American Advertising Federation of Kansas City Internship Guide - internships in the local area, specifically in advertising, marketing, public relations, event planning, and design
- Internships.com - internship listings across all 50 states
- Moneygeek.com's Guide to Internships - internship advice and listings for a variety of industries
- Making the Difference - internships within the federal government
- kansasworks.com - list of internships in Kansas; use the advanced search function and click on "include other job boards"
- Public Relations Society of America-Kansas City Internship Guide - list of local internships in the public relations, communications, advertising, and marketing fields
- InternshipKing.com - internship reviews and salary information, as well as information on internships with America's top companies, organized by industry
- Student Conservation Association - help protect and restore national parks, marine sanctuaries, cultural landmarks and community green spaces in all 50 states
EPSY 575/LA&S 490 -Internship Exploration
EPSY 575/LA&S 490-Internship Exploration is a 1-5 credit elective course (depending upon the number of hours you are interning a week) that is taught online via email and Blackboard, so you can intern anywhere in the world and take the course. It is offered every semester and is open to students of all levels and all majors; therefore, this course is perfect for anyone who cannot receive academic credit for an internship through his/her academic department. Additional course assignments are required beyond your internship hours. Take a look at the syllabus and complete the course inquiry form for more information or to enroll.
When seeking credit for an internship, you will first want to check with your academic department to see if a course is available in which you can receive departmental credit. Not every department offers an internship for credit course.
You may be able to find a professor who will support you in an independent study. It is your responsibility to contact your advisor or a specific professor to find out if an independent study is an option. Together, you decide the expectations and requirements of the course.
- Ask friends and family - If you have friends or family in that country, as them for organizations with quality reputations.
- Use Idealist - Idealist.org's International Volunteerism Resource Center can help find nonprofit or NGO internships abroad; AIESEC is also a great organization offered at KU for finding opportunities.
- The KU Office of Study Abroad offers internship programs in a variety of locations including Dublin, Ireland; London, England; Madrid, Spain; Shanghai, China; and Sydney, Australia: more information.
- Do you qualify?--Make sure you have or can get the proper visa/work permit to do an internship abroad; Going Global is a resource that can assist you with this.
- Prepare - Allow 6 to 12 months for the internship search, hiring process, and paperwork involved in working abroad.
- Find out your credit options - Ask the University Career Center and your academic department how you can receive KU credit for your internship in case it is required by the organization.
- Quick response - If the organization doesn't respond within 2 days of contact, they will probably give you a headache down the road.
- Ask other students - Try to track down other students who have interned with the organization and make sure they had a positive experience.
- Break down the cost - If the organization charges a fee, ask where that money goes and make sure it sounds reasonable.
- Compare comparable companies - If this organization charges far more or far less than other comparable programs, that should present a red flag.
- Orientation - Ask how long the program's orientation lasts, and think about whether you consider that ample to feel comfortable in your new country.
- Support - Ask what protocol the organization has in place should something go wrong, for example, your housing becomes unsafe or you need medical attention.
- Ask United Way - Ask that country's United Way about the organization to gain a sense of the organization's reputation.
- Do your research - Search the company's name to find articles, blogs, etc. related to the organization or other people's experiences.
- Chicago Apartment Finders
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago: Housing
- University Center
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- The Webster Apartments
- deHirsch Residence
- International House
- Citi Habitats - Summer in the City
- New York University Department of Housing
- Polytechnic University Residence Life
- Educational Housing Services
- American University Summer Intern Housing
- Catholic University of America Summer Housing
- George Washington University's Summer Intern Housing
- Georgetown University Summer Housing
- Washington Intern Student Housing