The School of Education & Human Sciences offers a BS in Sport Management, as well as a MSE and a PhD. Students who complete the degree requirements for Sport Management are qualified to work in management-related positions at the collegiate and professional sports levels. The individual would also be trained to work in companies that manufacture, distribute or sell sporting equipment. The individual would be qualified to seek management positions in commercial, corporate, and private fitness facilities and companies.
Sample of Related Skills
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of finance, and the economics of sport as they fit into national and international economies
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate with various public and professional audiences through written texts, oral discussions, and multi-media presentations
- Demonstrate skill in the application of the basic principles of interpersonal and mass communications through interaction with internal and external sport publics
- Demonstrate essential management and business related skills in the work place
- Demonstrate understanding of the critical social, psychological, and philosophical base issues of the sport environment
- Demonstrate the ability to assume leadership roles in various professional settings and work effectively with diverse groups and organizations seeking to improve the performance of those they lead
- Understand, anticipate and assess emerging trends and initiatives in the sport environment
Popular Career Paths
Amateur and Professional Sport Management: Involves the management of youth, high school, intercollegiate, Olympic and professional sports
Sales and Merchandising: Includes the manufacturing, distribution and sales of sporting equipment, merchandise and apparel
Facilities Management: Involves the management of commercial, corporate, and private fitness and recreation facilities and companies as well as local city and county parks & recreation departments
Communications/Media: Involves marketing, advertising, and public relations of sports teams and athletes, as well as print and broadcast journalism
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Arenas, Auditoriums, Stadiums
Parks and Recreation Departments
Corporate Health Centers
Exercise Equipment Manufacturers
Health and Fitness Clubs
High Schools and Middle Schools
Olympic Training Centers
Sports Teams and Leagues
Radio Stations/Television Stations
Recreational Sport Leagues
Regional Sport Commissions
Sport Marketing Firms/Departments
Sport-Related Internet Sites
Sporting Goods Manufacturers/Stores
Youth Sport Organizations
View specific employers by state.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent study, internships, part-time jobs, student organization involvement, or volunteering.
- Register for HireJayhawks.com and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Become involved in sport management programming on campus through resources like KU Recreation Services or KU Athletics.
- Consider joining sport management-related professional associations and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field of interest.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest: sample resume (pdf).
- Develop strong interpersonal skills.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest, such as: Sports Management Club, Sports Marketing Club, KU Intramurals, and KU Sports Clubs.
Job and Internship Resources
- AEG Worldwide - job and internship opportunities with a wide range of sports franchises and facilities
- Athletic Equipment Managers' Association - job and internship opportunities in equipment management
- AthleticLink.com - coaching and sport camp opportunities
- College Sports Jobs - job and internship opportunities with college teams
- Major League Baseball - job and internship opportunities with MLB teams
- Major League Baseball Careers - job and internship opportunities with MLB.com, the MLB Network and the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
- Major League Soccer/Soccer United Marketing - job and internship opportunities with MLS and SUM
- National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administrators - administrative and coaching opportunities at the collegiate level
- National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Job Board - job and internship opportunities in recreation and fitness at colleges and universities
- NBA - job and internship opportunities with the league offices, NBA teams and the NBA store in New York City
- NCAA - job and internship opportunities in collegiate athletics
- National Football League - job and internship opportunities with NFL teams
- National Hockey League - job and internship opportunities with NHL teams
- National Sporting Goods Association - job board geared toward students interested in a career in the sporting goods industry
- North American Society for Sport Management - national professional sport management association
- PBEO.com - official employment service for minor league baseball
- TeamWork Online.com - comprehensive job board for opportunities with major league sports teams, sport facilities and venues, and professional tours