Part-Time Student Jobs
Off Campus Student Jobs are federally subsidized by the job location and development (JLD) program sponsored by the University Career Center (UCC) and the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships that locates and develops off-campus job opportunities in Lawrence, Topeka and the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. Our goal is to assist University of Kansas students in obtaining off-campus jobs (full or part-time, seasonal, or temporary positions) while they are attending KU, thereby enhancing student success. All off campus student jobs are posted in KU Career Connections.
- Earn extra money for college
- Build your resume
- Develop new job skills
- Gain valuable professional experience
- Students represent a variety of majors with diverse skills and experiences
- The process of filling job openings with qualified applicants becomes easier
- Log in using your KU online ID and password; if you have trouble logging in contact the University Career Center, 785-864-3624.
- Search "off campus student jobs;" then filter by job function or industry if you are looking for a specific type of position.
- Kansas Work Study
- YES Tutor Program
- be a Kansas resident, paying in-state tuition fees
- be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours during the Fall and Spring
- have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or greater and must maintain a 2.0 or higher throughout the semester
- have a declared major in a field that is directly related to the type of employment opportunity for which the student is applying
- demonstrate an “established financial need” which has been defined as the cost of attendance minus any scholarship or fellowship monies awarded to the eligible student and without any financial aid received by the eligible student pursuant to title IV of the higher education act of 1965, as amended. This will be determined by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- The employer must complete an online application providing information about the organization and the types of students who will be employed.
- The student must complete an online application providing appropriate related information. The students’ application is checked against the university student records database to verify resident status, hours of enrollment, major, and G.P.A. The Office of Student Financial Aid then determines the financial eligibility of the student applicant.
- When an employer is deemed to be eligible and when there is at least one eligible student who will be employed by that employer, then a contract is issued to the employer.
- Have a FEIN (Federal Employee Identification Number)
- Be a Kansas business using a Kansas bank
- Be willing to act as the student's employer (students are not employed by our office)
Employers are responsible for interviewing and hiring eligible students. Before signing a KCWS contract, the employer must employ or be in the process of hiring an eligible student. Employers may advertise part-time positions for students in KU Career Connections.
The amount of the contract is based on the student's hourly wage, the estimated hours per week that the student will work, and the number of weeks that the student will work; Fifty percent of this amount will be reimbursed to the employer; If the estimate is too low, an amendment may be granted if funds are available.
Employers must submit invoices to KCWS at least once a month. It can take up to four weeks for the reimbursement check to arrive - it is to the employer's benefit to submit invoices in a timely manner
KCWS (pdf) Employer Guidelines
If you have further questions about Kansas Career Work-Study, please contact us at (785) 864-7664 or firstname.lastname@example.org.