The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA, BGS, and Minor, as well as a MA in Classical Antiquity. The major provides a broad, interdisciplinary training in ancient Greek and Roman cultures and languages and prepares you for graduate study in ancient archeology, art, or history.
Sample of Related Skills
- Read and comprehend works of poetry and prose in their original language(s) from all periods of classical antiquity
- Know how to place these texts in their literary, social, and historical context
- Demonstrate broad understanding of the history and culture of the ancient world
- Describe and discuss the grammatical, rhetorical and stylistic features of Latin and Greek texts as well as the way these features shape the ideas in these texts
- Use linguistic analysis in the historical, philosophical and theological interpretation of Greek and Latin texts
Popular Career Paths
Archeology: Involves the analysis of past civilizations by uncovering and studying artifacts and architecture to gain knowledge about the way people lived in the past.
Government: Involves understanding and participating in the development of public policy to guide the well-being of citizens and societies, whether at a city, state, or federal level.
Law: Involves providing legal services for clients that may include things such as advising them of their rights, analyzing or writing legal documents, or defending them from lawsuits.
Literary Editing: Involves proofreading and providing feedback and reviews on written material such as books, newspaper or magazine articles.
Museum Work: Involves the planning and overseeing the arrangements, cataloging, and exhibition of collections of arts and historic objects.
Teaching: Involves facilitating students learning by developing lesson plans, providing instruction, and creating a learning environment.
Jobs to Consider
- Freelance Writer
- Museum Technician
- Tour Guide
Places to Seek Employment
- Colleges and Universities
- City, County, and State Government Agencies
- Cultural Organizations
- Federal Government Agencies
- Historical Societies
- K-12 Public and Private Schools
- Law Firms
- Private Archeological Consulting Firms
- Publishing Companies
- Travel Agencies
- United Nations