The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a BA, BGS, and Minor, as well as a MA in Classical Antiquity. The major provides a broad, interdisciplinary training in ancient Greek and Roman cultures and languages and prepares you for graduate study in ancient archeology, art, or history.
Sample of Related Skills
- Read and comprehend works of poetry and prose in their original language(s) from all periods of classical antiquity
- Know how to place these texts in their literary, social, and historical context
- Demonstrate broad understanding of the history and culture of the ancient world
- Describe and discuss the grammatical, rhetorical and stylistic features of Latin and Greek texts as well as the way these features shape the ideas in these texts
- Use linguistic analysis in the historical, philosophical and theological interpretation of Greek and Latin texts
Popular Career Paths
Archeology: Involves the analysis of past civilizations by uncovering and studying artifacts and architecture to gain knowledge about the way people lived in the past.
Government: Involves understanding and participating in the development of public policy to guide the well-being of citizens and societies, whether at a city, state, or federal level.
Law: Involves providing legal services for clients that may include things such as advising them of their rights, analyzing or writing legal documents, or defending them from lawsuits.
Literary Editing: Involves proofreading and providing feedback and reviews on written material such as books, newspaper or magazine articles.
Museum Work: Involves the planning and overseeing the arrangements, cataloging, and exhibition of collections of arts and historic objects.
Teaching: Involves facilitating students learning by developing lesson plans, providing instruction, and creating a learning environment.
Explore More Career Paths
- Association of Art Museum Curators - A comprehensive list of art museums across America.
- University of California, Irvine - A listing of numerous classics
Jobs to Consider
- Freelance Writer
- Museum Technician
- Tour Guide
Places to Seek Employment
- Colleges and Universities
- City, County, and State Government Agencies
- Cultural Organizations
- Federal Government Agencies
- Historical Societies
- K-12 Public and Private Schools
- Law Firms
- Private Archeological Consulting Firms
- Publishing Companies
- Travel Agencies
- United Nations
Job and Internship Search Resources
- American Classical League - Resources and job postings by state for teaching Classical Greek and Latin.
- American Library Association - Career information and job listings for libraries.
- American Philological Association - A listing of jobs for classicists and archeologists.
- Archeological Institute of America - Find opportunities for fieldwork through the AIA.
- Society of American Archivists - Job listings with the SAA.
Career Exploration Hub
- Identify areas of interest related to your major so you can focus your academics and experiences towards these fields.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent studies, internships, part-time jobsstudent organization involvement, or volunteering
- Register for Hire Jayhawks and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Practice interviewing on your own or by conducting a mock interview at the University Career Center.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Complete an independent study to gain advanced research skills.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest.