Although you may not realize it, you’re likely already building your career network as a student here at KU. Your relationships with people like your family, friends, coworkers, classmates, former supervisors, faculty, etc. can play a valuable role in exploring careers, job searching, and moving up in your career.
- Clean up your online image by making sure all content is positive and professional.
- Develop and promote your brand to make yourself standout.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself with others by knowing what you want to say and how you want to say it.
- Have your resume ready and be prepared to hand it out.
- Think about who you know and how these people might be able to help you reach your career goals.
- Utilize online tools such as LinkedIn to become an active member in online networking groups.
- Network using the KUAA mentoring platform: This free networking platform provides KU students access to KU Alumni who can provide career guidance and advice.
- Communicate like a professional by being polite and polished when connecting with others.
- Value others’ expertise when you are meeting new people or building connections you already have.
- Maintain your relationships by staying in contact, keeping others updated, and always thanking people for their help.
- Return the favor by being prepared to help others with their own careers.