The Beyond KU panel series showcases the variety of interdisciplinary options it takes for any given industry to operate. From different job titles within one industry to one job title spread out among a variety of industries.
Pre-Law & You
Tuesday, October 10th, 2023 | 5:30pm - 6:30pm
Are curious about what you can accomplish with a law degree? Beyond KU: Pre-Law & You invites alumni to share their stories and connect with current students about their future legal interests. Join us on October 10th for this virtual event where you will hear from fellow Jayhawks about where their KU degree took them. Panelist will share their path from KU to the world of law.
- Chris Teter - Assistant Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division of the Kansas Attorney General's Office
- Hugh Ebb - Associate, Financial Services Group at Moore & Van Allen
- Annie Bailey - Human Capital Senior Consultant, Deloitte
This is a co-sponsored event hosted by the University Career Center and Jayhawk Academic Advising.
Tuesday, March 21st, 2023 | 4pm - 5pm
Take your passion and make it your purpose--no matter your major! Beyond KU: Social Change hopes to demonstrate how you can take your interest in activism and helping others and translate that into a career!
- KJ Abel Ruch - Director of Community Engagement, United Way of Kaw Valley
- Alejandro Rangel-Lopez - New Frontiers Project Coordinator, Loud Light
- Kelsey Dachman - CEO, Center for Supportive Communities
- Samiyah Para-Cremer Moore - Analyst, Kansas Health Institute
- Alix Guerrero - Program Manager for Strategic Initiatives, Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Courtland Triplett - Clerk, Armstrong Teasdale
Resources to continue your exploration into careers in Social Change:
- Find resources for Service and Civic Engagement on the CSL Spring 2023 Guide
- Apply for the KU Certificate in Service Learning
- Graduating Seniors: Apply for the KU CSL'S Campus Compact AmeriCorps VISTA (The Position will start Mid-July)
- Learn About the KU Community Action Corps (We will have at least one open position for next semester)
Contact the Center for Service Learning for additional support and resources at email@example.com.
Tuesday, November 15th, 2022 | 4:30PM - 5:30PM
Do you have a love for research and politics? Do you want to advocate for the things that are important to you, but aren’t sure where to begin? Take your passion and make it your purpose--no matter your major! Beyond KU: Think Tanks hopes to demonstrate how you can take your passion for politics and turn that into a career!
- Anna Bailey - Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Senior Policy Analyst
- Ariel Simons - The Brookings Institution - Manager, Learning & Development
- Devi Nair - Center for Strategic and International Studies - Associate Director, International Security Program
- Catherine Nzuki - Center Strategic and International Studies - Associate Fellow, Africa Program
Careers with Canines
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2022 | 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Do you have a love for dogs and animals? Have you dreamed of getting to spend all your time with them, but you aren’t sure where to begin? Take your passion and make it your purpose--no matter your major!
Beyond KU: Careers with Canines hopes to demonstrate how you can take your passion for dogs and animals and turn that into a career!
- Alyssa Willett - Community Support Manager, KC Pet Project
- Jade Mar - General Manager, Bar K
- Katie Barnett - Animal Welfare Counsel, Lawrence Humane Society
- Amanda Smasal - Special Events Manager, Wayside Waifs
Pathways Beyond the Professoriate
Wednesday, March 9th, 2022 | 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Earning a PhD is a long and challenging process. While a tenure-track faculty job is the goal for many PhD candidates, more people are finding rewarding careers outside of academia. The skills gained during a PhD program – research, writing, critical thinking, and communications (to name a few) – are all highly valuable to companies and organizations. Join us for Beyond KU: Pathways Beyond the Professoriate, a virtual panel featuring individuals who took their skills and education into diverse career pathways.
- Dr. Casey Keel - Editorial Writer, USDA Economic Research Service
- Dr. Devon Lee - Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Programs, Jopwell
- Dr. Finn Boson - Risk Management GRC Analyst, Busey
- Dr. Nicole Reiz - Director of Professional Development, University of Kansas
Careers in Public Service
November 16, 2021 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Take your passion and make it your purpose--no matter your major! Beyond KU | Careers in Public Service hopes to demonstrate how you can take your passion for government and politics and translate that into a career! This is a virtual event!
Julia Groblacher – Foreign Service Officer – U.S. Department of State
After graduating from KU in 2010, Julia received her Masters in Public Policy from the Harvard JFK School of Government. Since entering the Foreign Service in 2012, Julia has served domestically on the Syria and Afghanistan desks, and overseas at the U.S. embassies in Moscow, Baghdad, and Kabul. She most recently served as a member of Deputy Secretary Wendy Sherman's staff, responsible for the Middle East, counterterrorism, cybersecurity, and tech. She will soon depart for U.S. Embassy Beirut.
Marc Langston – Attorney, Strategic Team Advising Research – U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Marc Langston is a Wichita native and KU alumnus ('08) with bachelor’s degrees in political science and art history. He attended law school at Wake Forest University and spent the last decade working as an attorney in Washington, DC. Marc's legal experience includes a variety of positions in both the public and private sectors.
Eric Pahls – Vice President – Big Dog Strategies
Eric Pahls is a proud native Kansan who served as Campaign Manager for Dr. Roger Marshall’s successful 2020 U.S. Senate Campaign. Prior to 2020, he served as businesswoman Carly Fiorina’s Communications Director, and as the youngest Press Secretary on Capitol Hill after working on Dr. Marshall’s successful 2016 Congressional campaign, which notably unseated the incumbent in a primary. Eric is a graduate of the University of Kansas' William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications, and lives in Kansas City, Kansas.
Adam Steinhilber – Judicial Law Clerk – Indiana Supreme Court
Adam Steinhilber is an attorney and law clerk to the Honorable Mark S. Massa of the Indiana Supreme Court. He earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School. He earned his B.A. in Political Science from the University of Kansas, where he proudly served as the Events Student Assistant at the Dole Institute of Politics.
Careers with Roots; Ecology, Nature & Food Systems
September 22, 2021 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Do you have a green thumb? Have you dreamed of getting to spend all your time in nature, but you aren’t sure where to begin? Take your passion and make it your purpose--no matter your major! Beyond KU | Careers with Roots; Ecology, Nature, and Food Systems hopes to demonstrate how you can take your passion for things that grow and grow it into a career!
- Becky Harpstrite – Vice President of Marketing, VG Food & Beverage Group and Hilary’s Eat Well
- Zac Hoppenstedt – Horticulture Agent, K-State Research and Extension
- Emily Lysen - Director of Development, Lawrence Farmers Market
- Courtney Masterson – Ecologist, For the Prairie
- Jasmin Moore – Sustainability Director, Douglas County