The Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science prepares students for careers in therapeutic sport- and fitness-related settings, as well as a MSE and a PhD. It also provides a strong scientific core necessary for careers in cardiac rehabilitation and strength and conditioning. Additionally, the requirements of the program meet the prerequisites of the University of Kansas Medical Center physical therapy program.
Visit the KU Career Services Alliance, which provides career resources, support and programming to Edwards Campus students. And sign up for Hire Jayhawks to post your resume, apply for jobs and internships and more.
Sample of Related Skills
- Analyze how the body’s cells and organ systems respond to acute and chronic physiological stress
- Prescribe exercise as a way to elicit positive functional adaptations
- Develop preventive strategies to combat disease epidemics
- Prevent and treat diseases, such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis and cancer
- Preserve functional capacity in aging adults to improve the quality of life and active lifespan
- Utilize exercise programming and sound nutrition to maximize strength and conditioning required for optimal human performance
Popular Career Paths
Sports Medicine: Involves the prevention, identification, management and rehabilitation of injuries related to sport, exercise or recreational activity
Recreation and Fitness: Can include the development and implementation of sports and fitness programs, fitness and exercise instruction and/or consultation, performance enhancement, and strength and conditioning coaching
Rehabilitation/Therapy: Involves the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of a physically impairing injury, disability or disease
Corporate Wellness: Involves the promotion, maintenance, and improvement of employee health and fitness through individual and group consultation, recreational activities and wellness programming
Explore More Career Paths
- Explorehealthcareers - career resources and information for careers in sports medicine, physical therapy, exercise physiology, kinesiology, athletic training, etc.
- Exercise Science Guide - information to explore careers in fitness, sports medicine, and healthcare
- Careers in Sports - information to explore careers in sports
Jobs to Consider
- Activities Director
- Director of Recreation
- Exercise/Fitness Instructor
- Exercise Physiologist
- Employee Fitness Director
- Health Club/Training Center Manager
- Health Educator
- Injury Prevention Specialist
- Personal Trainer
- Physical Therapist
- Professional Team Trainer/Rehabilitation Specialist
- Sports Medicine Specialist
- Sports and Fitness Nutritionist
- Sports and Fitness Program Coordinator
- Strength/Conditioning Coach
- Training Director
- Wellness Program Coordinator
Places to Seek Employment
- Colleges and Universities
- Community Center
- Competitive Youth Training Centers
- Corporate Health Centers
- Health and Fitness Clubs
- Military Training Centers
- Olympic Training Centers
- Professional and Amateur Sports Teams
- Professional Fitness/Sports Organizations
- Public Health Agencies
- Recreation Centers
- Rehabilitation Clinics
- Retirement Centers/Nursing Homes
- Sports Clinics
- Sports Facilities
- Sports Medicine Centers
Job and Internship Resources
- Aerobics and Fitness Association of America - job postings, certification information, and continuing education courses
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - health and fitness job and internship opportunities
- American Physical Therapy Association - job postings and career resources in physical therapy
- Athletic Link - coaching and sport camp opportunities
- Corporate Fitness Works - job and internship opportunities with corporate wellness programs locally and nationwide (Headquarters is located in Overland Park, KS)
- Exercise Jobs - nationwide job listings for fitness, exercise physiology, and kinesiology
- Team EXOS - job and internship opportunities with fitness and wellness programs nationwide
- National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Job Board - job and internship opportunities in recreation and fitness at colleges and universities
- National Strength and Conditioning Association - job and internship opportunities in fitness, assessment, performance enhancement and strength and conditioning
- NCAA - job and internship opportunities in collegiate athletics
- Physical Therapist - physical therapy-related job postings, career resources, discussion forums, and networking opportunities Therapy Jobs - job opportunities for Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and other therapy fields
Career Exploration Hub
- Identify areas of interest related to your major so you can focus your academics and experiences towards these fields.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent studies, internships, part-time jobsstudent organization involvement, or volunteering
- Register for Hire Jayhawks and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Practice interviewing on your own or by conducting a mock interview at the University Career Center.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Complete an independent study to gain advanced research skills.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest.