Attending graduate school can help you gain additional knowledge in your field and advance in your career. If you're considering going to graduate school, there are some key steps to take before starting the application process.
Steps to Applying to Graduate School
Think critically about why you want to pursue a graduate degree and what kind of program you want to attend. Career Advisors can guide you through the steps of considering and evaluating graduate schools. Some helpful activities include:
2. Do your research
Identify graduate programs you're interested in applying to and start researching them. Use resources like:
- School and program websites
- General websites like Princeton Review, US News & World Report, and Grad Schools
- Campus visits
- Discussions with faculty, current students, and alumni
3. Get organized
Map out your timeline for applying to graduate school and track what you need to apply to each program. Choose a method to stay organized or make a Career Advising Appointment for help.
4. Work on your application materials.
Each program will have different requirements, but a typical graduate school application may include:
- An application to the school and/or program
- Entrance exams (e.g., the GRE)
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Academic transcripts
- An interview