Health Information Management
The School of Health Professions offers a BS in Health Information Management as a two-year program on the KU Medical Center campus in Kansas City, KS, as well as a BS in HIM to MBA fast track program and a joint BS HIM/MHSA. Students must complete their first two years of undergraduate prerequisites from KU's Lawrence campus or another qualified accredited institution to become eligible for admission. Health Information Management (HIM) links health care clinicians with information technology and is the bridge between patients’ health information and health insurers, state and federal government, and other regulating agencies.
Sample of Related Skills
- Review medical documentation and accurately assign codes for billing purposes
- Collect and summarize performance data, identifying opportunities for improvement, and present data
- Conduct medical chart audits, prepare reports, and report data
- Collect, evaluate and maintain data concerning medical patient injuries, claims, and worker's compensation
- Report data and implement changes to policies and procedures as necessary
- Act as a bridge between patients’ health information and health insurers, state and federal government, and other regulating agencies
- Serve as an advocate for privacy and confidentiality of health information and plans and offers in-service educational programs for health care personnel
Popular Career Paths
Management: Involves managing Health Information Management department staff, budget, and overall operations
Coding: Involves reviewing medical documentation and accurately assigning codes for billing purposes
Quality Improvement: Includes collecting and summarizing performance data, identifying opportunities for improvement, and presenting data to other administrators
Compliance: Involves conducting chart audits, preparing reports, and reporting data
Risk Management: Includes collecting, evaluating and maintaining data concerning patient injuries, claims, and worker's compensation. Reports data and implements changes to policies and procedures as necessary
Explore More Career Paths
- American Medical Association's Career Directory - explore health information occupations and other health care careers through this great career directory
- Health Information Careers - online resource for learning about careers in health information management and health informatics
- Health Management Careers - resources detailing various positions through industry, video of students and successful executives talking about their career decisions in hospitals and other healthcare organizations.
- Kansas Health Information Management Association - includes educational resources and networking opportunities in health information management
- KU Health Information Management Program Career Information - salary and career information for HIM students and graduates
Jobs to Consider
- Chief Privacy Officer
- Claims Analyst
- Clinical Data Manager/Analyst
- Clinical Documentation Manager
- Clinical Information Specialist
- Clinical Trials Coordinator
- Compliance Officer
- Data Quality Manager
- Director of Coding Services
- Director of Health Information Management
- Health Data Security Manager
- Health Information Administrator
- Health Information Management (HIM) Systems Manager
- Information Security Officer
- Lead Coder
- Medical Records Director/Manager
- Privacy Officer
- Risk Manager
- Software Designer/Tester
- Systems Coordinator
Places to Seek Employment
- Accounting Firms
- Consulting Firms
- Corrections Facilities
- Federal and State Health Care Agencies
- Healthcare Management Companies (HMOs)
- Home Health Care Agencies
- Information Systems Vendors
- Insurance Companies
- Law Firms
- Long-Term Care Facilities
- Medical Software Companies
- Medical Clinics/Group Practices
- Mental Health Clinics
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Physicians' Offices
- Public Health Care Agencies
- Rehabilitation Centers
Job and Internship Search Resources
- All 50 Medical - job opportunities and information on traveling allied health careers
- Allied Health Careers - job opportunities in allied health-related careers, including health information management
- American Health Information Management Association Career Assist - job opportunities and career resources for health information management
- Association of Healthcare Documentation Integrity Career Connection - job opportunities in a wide variety of healthcare documentation specialist positions, including HIM
- Health Career Center - online guide to health careers, degrees, schools and job search resources
- Hospital Jobs Online - comprehensive listing of healthcare jobs in hospitals across the US, including many health information management job postings
- Kansas Health Information Management Association Job Bank - health information management job postings
- Kansas Health Jobs - list of jobs across the state of Kansas
Career Exploration Hub
- Identify areas of interest related to your major so you can focus your academics and experiences towards these fields.
- Gain direct experience within the areas that interest you most through research projects, independent studies, internships, part-time jobsstudent organization involvement, or volunteering
- Register for Hire Jayhawks and subscribe to the Internship Newsletter to receive automated weekly emails with specific internship information.
- Consider joining a professional organization related to your area of interest, and, if possible, attend local and/or regional conferences to make connections with professionals working in your field.
- Practice interviewing on your own or by conducting a mock interview at the University Career Center.
- Develop your resume and tailor it to your area(s) of interest.
- Earn a minor or take additional coursework outside your major when relevant to your career goals.
- Complete an independent study to gain advanced research skills.
- Maintain a strong GPA if you are considering pursuing graduate or professional school.
- Consider getting involved with a student organization at KU related to your area of interest.