- Senior Associate Director
1300 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, KS 66045
Taking little steps now can lead to big outcomes later on. As the Program Director, I motivate people to do that every day. I lead a team of creative people who inspire KU students to experiment, connect and engage their career ideas. Career planning should involve experimentation and taking some risks, which can lead to "happy accidents". The best part of my job is the work I do helping faculty, staff and student leaders create innovative programs and opportunities that open doors and build life-long relationships.
Much of my free time is balanced between having fun with family and friends, spending time in the garden, and finishing up a doctorate in the Higher Education Leadership program. I bike to work most days and volunteer in the community teaching people about gardening and bike safety.
- 2011, Mental Health First Aid, Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center
- 2010, Strengths Educator training, Gallup
- 2009, Career Coaching Intensive, National Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2008, Management Leadership Institute, National Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2006, Career Development Facilitator Instructor Training, National Career Development Association
- 2005, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Certification, Zeisset and Associates
- 2003, Designing and Teaching an Effective Online Course, Arizona State University
- 2000, Experiential Education Academy, National Society of Experiential Education
- 2010-present, The relationship of career competence, institutional integration and academic persistence. Co-Investigator, with Mary Hellwege, University of Nebraska and Tom Krieshok, The University of Kansas.
- August – December 2010, Combined Utilization of Strengths and Interests Protocols in Career Counseling. Co-Investigator, with Rhea Owens and Tom Krieshok, The University of Kansas.
- May – August 1993, Women’s work and health in polygynous families in sub-Saharan Africa. Principal Investigator, Center for International Rural and Environmental Health, The University of Iowa.
- Preparing for International Careers (LAS 480), University of Kansas
- Career and Life Planning (EPSY 210/310), University of Kansas
- Preparing for International Careers Thematic Learning Community (LAS 101)
- Internship Seminar (BME 484), Arizona State University
Selected Presentations —
- 2013, Finding internships in the USA, Stuttgart Media University, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2013, Windows on American Culture, Stuttgart Media University, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2013, Career Services Research in Practice, Kansas Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2013, (Co-presenter) Career Services: Essential for Retention, Intern Bridge Webinar (3-part series)
- 2012, (Co-presenter) Career Services Research in Practice: Can We Impact Retention? Southern Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2012, (Co-presenter) Making the case for career services as an essential intervention for retention, National Career Development Association
- 2011, (Co-presenter) The influence of career services on institutional integration and intention to persist. International Conference on Vocational Designing and Career Counseling, Laboratorio di Ricerco ed Intervento in Orientamento alle Scelte (LaRIOS), University of Padova, Italy, (with Mary Hellwege).
- Experiential Learning and Professional Identity, Leadership Studies Graduate Seminar, LDST 700, April 2021.
- Job searching in the age of COVID – 19. International Relations Council, April 2020
- Cross-cultural work competencies. RheinMain University of Applied Sciences, Wiesbaden, Germany, August 2018, 2019, 2021
- Personality and Adaptive Leadership style. Workshop series developed for 3 class sequence in Leadership Studies Minor. Every semester since 2015.
Awards & Honors —
- 2013, Innovation Excellence Award - Research, National Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2012-2013, Research Fellow, Southern Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2012, Fulbright Scholar, Germany, International Education Administrators Program
- 2012, Larry Hannah Career Services Director of the Year, Kansas Association of Colleges and Employers.
- 2009, Chairperson of the Year, Kansas Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2008, Technology Award, Kansas Association of Colleges and Employers
The University of Kansas
- 2009-Present, Research team member, Dr. Tom Krieshok, Psychology & Research in Education.
German-American Fulbright Commission
- 2012, Host/Organizer, German Career Services Professionals Program
Kansas Association of Colleges and Employers
- 2010, President
- 2007-2009, Technology Committee Chair
- 2006, Conference Planning Committee
Kansas State Extension
- 2009-Present, Master Gardener
- 2011- Present, Co-Chair, Downtown Lawrence Farmers Market
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
- National Career Development Association (NCDA)
- Kansas Association of Colleges and Employers (KACE)