The School of Education & Human Sciences offers a BSE in Unified Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle and Secondary Education as well as PK-12 Foreign Language, and Health and Physical Education. The primary mission of the School of Education is to prepare educators as leaders. The School of Education also offers MA, MS, MSE, EdD, and PhD programs.
Sample of Related Skills
- Plan instruction that supports student progress in learning in multiple subject areas and is appropriate for the early childhood, elementary, or middle developmental levels
- Establish a classroom climate conducive to learning
- Engage students in planned learning activities
- Evaluate, act upon, and report student progress in learning
- Exhibit professional behaviors, ethics, and values
Popular Career Paths
PK-12 Instruction: Involves providing daily classroom instruction at the early childhood, elementary or secondary level. Typically requires licensure or certification in corresponding content area.
Special Education: Involves conducting assessments and developing individualized education plans for students in PK through 12th grade, as well as providing support and resources for parents, teachers and administration
Administration: Involves the daily operation and management of educational institutions such as public schools, child care centers, and district offices
Curriculum Design/Development: Includes development of curriculum standards and guidelines for each subject area taught in a particular district and providing resources and support to classroom teachers and administrators.
Jobs to Consider
- PK-12 Instruction
- Special Education Teacher
- Administrator (principal, superintendent, etc.)
- Curriculum and Instruction Coordinator/Specialist
- Assistant/Head Coach
- Educational Technologist
- Early Childhood Program Director
- Early Childhood Specialist
- Educational Diagnostician
- Educational Software Developer
- English as a Foreign Language/English as Second Language Teacher
- Elementary, Middle or Secondary Teacher
- Instructional Supervisor
- Instructional Designer
- Preschool Teacher
- Reading Specialist
- Textbook Editor
Places to Seek Employment
- Public Schools
- Special Education Cooperatives
- Child Care Facilities
- Commercial Language Schools (typically overseas)
- Community Early Childhood Education Agencies
- Department of Defense Schools
- International Schools
- Online Schools
- Private Schools (ie, Catholic Schools, Montessori, Waldorf, etc.)
- School District Administrative Offices
- State Boards/Departments of Education
Job & Internship Search Resources
- Blueprint Schools Network - paid teaching fellowship program in Denver, CO
- Kansas Teaching Jobs - current teaching and instructional support positions in Kansas. Also contains information on licensure, state sponsored tuition and scholarship programs, and resume assistance.
- Missouri Teaching Jobs - current teaching and instructional support positions in Missouri and contains information on upcoming recruiting fairs. This site also links to other teaching job sites across the country, including CT, IA, KY, MI, NM, OH, PA, and TX.
- Education Week Top School Jobs - teaching and administrative positions across the United States. Also contains articles and resources for teachers.
- Go abroad - contains resources and links to teaching opportunities abroad.
- K-12 Job Spot - current teaching and support positions available with over 800 school districts across the country
- School Spring - nationwide teaching jobs searchable by state, category, grade level and job type
- TeachAway Inc. - teaching opportunities overseas
- Teach for America - job opportunities with Teach for America (does not require teaching certification)